Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Mason's Apron


One of my favorite symbols in Masonry is the Apron. Upon being initiated an Entered Apprentice, a Mason is first given a Lambskin or White Leathern Apron. This investiture takes place before the new brother is taught about working tools or set to work with Masonic Philosophy - in fact, a Mason is not considered properly clothed until he dons his apron. Upon being invested with his apron, a new brother might hear words similar to these,

...It is an emblem of innocence and the badge of a mason...Let its pure and
spotless surface be to you a never ending argument for higher thoughts, nobler
deeds, and greater achievements,...may the record of your life and actions be as
spotless as this fair emblem I place in your hands tonight...

Since hearing those words, I have been enamored with Masonic Philosophy and have had a soft place for the Apron.

I finally have been able to get a Master Mason Apron after three years of being one (simply, I couldn't afford one til now). This masterpiece is the handiwork of P. Marty Martineau, and 100% created to my desires. Here I will take some time to explain why I went with every little thing.

-The first thing a person notices is the color. Instead of a dark, royal blue I went with a more subdued, grey-blue color which I have seen listed as Silver Mist. The blue is for Blue Lodge Masonry of course, but just as the search to understand Blue Lodge Philosophy takes time, so too does the discovery of the blue of my apron.

-Next is the Square and Compasses surrounded by the Wreath. The Square and Compasses is the universal symbol of Blue Lodge Masonry. No matter what other body or organization I join, I will always be first and foremost a Master Mason of a Blue Lodge. The Wreath alludes to a portion of the Apron Lecture,

It may be that in the coming years upon your head shall rest the laurel leaves
of victory...But never again until your enfranchised spirit shall have passed
upward and inward through the pearly gates, shall any honor so distinguished, so
emblematic of purity and all perfection be bestowed upon you as this which I
now confer.
In my opinion, to achieve the rank of Master Mason, and truly try to live up to the lessons that Blue Lodge Masonry teaches is truly the victory of a lifetime.

-One the bib or flap is the All Seeing Eye of God. The All Seeing Eye is one of my all time favorite symbols. By it we are reminded that God sees everything and that nothing can be hidden from His view. But I also feel that it symbolizes the fact that our Father in Heaven is always present, not only does he see the things that we would like to keep hidden but also the things that make us proud and happy - the reality that He truly is our Father.

-Customary on English and Scottish Aprons but generally not seen on American Aprons are the rosettes. I chose rosettes for Alchemical significance. Rosette literally means "little rose" and they are meant to be fabric representations of the flower. Alchemically, rose gardens are symbols of sacred spaces and/or meditation chambers. In Christian Alchemy the Rose is a symbol for the union between man and God. Also, the rose is a symbol of secrecy - in Hermetic organizations, hanging roses from the ceiling indicated that the discussions were to be kept secret.

I love my new Apron and what it means to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment