Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Black Pot!


There is a classic, traditional style of cooking in the American West, especially in Utah. It came across the plains with the Mormon Pioneers, could be found in propsecting camps, and hanging from chuckwagons on cattle drives on the prairie. It is the classic, Cast Iron Dutch Oven.

I love cookin in my Dutch Ovens! In fact, I have been around Dutch Ovens for as long as I can remember. It sort of comes with the territory of being the heir to a Dutch Oven Empire - okay in reality something more akin to being the heir to a Dutch Oven province or county. My grandfather and father invented the Mair Dutch Oven Lid Lifter and Dutch Ovens have been part of my life ever since.

Today I went and purchased a new Dutch Oven, that brings my total up to 5 + 4 that I will inheirit when my grandfather passes away. Somehow I just can't get enough Cast Iron to fit in my small, one bedroom apartment! I figured I needed the new Oven due to the fact that I am cooking Father's Day dinner tomorrow and I have requests from every father that will be in attendance as well as the fact that my wife's birthday is on Monday and she is making requests as well. I needed a new 10 inch Camp Chef Dutch Oven anyway, right?

Anyway, I will be posting recipes, tips, processes, and basically anything that comes with the Black Pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment